If you follow me on social media, over the past few months, you may have noticed more than a handful of tweets to, from or about @RickiLake. And maybe you wondered what was up…
The truth is, A LOT is up! And I have been waiting to share this very exciting news with you, but had to wait until after we launched the community. I am so grateful to have the opportunity to work with such an inspiring woman, a wonderful team and 30 incredible founding members to form… the very first Social Television Community called Friends of Ricki.
In this video, you will see Dabney Porte with Ricki Lake and me at the launch of the Friends of Ricki community. This is one of the highlight reels of the one hour Ustream event that was held on February 1 at the Live the Dream Live conference in Pasadena. Several of the founding members attended the event and everyone had a blast. The mutual admiration at this event made it clear that this community is built not only on the powerful combination of social media and and traditional media, but on a tremendous amount of love and support.
For anyone who wants to join the community, the good news is that although we have an incredible group of founding members who will be sharing their expertise over the upcoming months, there’s still plenty of room for super star experts and participants in the community.
In fact, the producers of The Ricki Lake Show will be looking at the Friends of Ricki community to find interesting stories, experts, authors and audience members. So, if you are a thought leader, innovator, service provider or regular person with great content, an interesting story or specialized expertise to offer, this is a community where your participation will not only increase your social media visibility, but also boost your chances of getting traditional media exposure.
Here are 5 ways to participate in the Friends of Ricki Community (or any community, for that matter):
- Follow @FriendsofRicki on Twitter. Introduce yourself to the community and join the conversation. (Don’t forget to use #FriendsofRicki hashtag)
- Like the Friends of Ricki Facebook Page and comment on posts on the page that interest you. There are all kinds of weekly activities and hot topics on this page that are fun to talk about and share.
- Follow @RickiLakeShow on Twitter and Facebook and tell the show that you are one of the #FriendsofRicki. Retweet posts in the stream that you and/or your audience will resonate with and look for people to connect with in the stream. Be courteous. Never include multiple community hashtags in a tweet and enjoy!
- Subscribe to the Ricki Lake YouTube page and stay updated on our #FriendsofRicki playlist
- Tell your friends who love social media communities to join the #FriendsofRicki party! The more the merrier! Right?
The Ricki Lake Show will air September 10, 2012. However, the Friends of Ricki community will be having a blast on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Ustream and at live events starting now! Join us and let’s make this community an even bigger part of social media history.
Do you have any questions or ideas about participating in this community? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments…